On Jun 7, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Matevz Tadel wrote:

> On 06/07/11 10:14, Andrew Hanushevsky wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Brian Bockelman wrote:
>>
>>> Alright, now I'm confused.  My understanding is that Matevz was complaining
>>> that the name recorded in the new monitoring record was truncated at 8
>>> characters.
>> I think he is but it's comming from the fact that the gsi plug-in is not
>> returning the translated name so he might have to rely on the traceid; which of
>> course, you can't except in limited circumstances.
>>
>>> I'm fine with the trace-id being "truncated", as we can back-track it to their
>>> login, which looks like this:
>>>
>>> 110607 02:47:20 5315 XrootdXeq: glxcuser.2050:[log in to unmask]
>>> login as uscmsPool1836
>>>
>>> I assume the trace-id is the "glxcuser.2050:[log in to unmask]",
>>> which I'm assuming is simply an opaque unique identifier (and hence not meant
>>> to derive meaning, such as a user name, from).
>> Bingo! Yes, you are correct. He should be using the authenticated name and that
>> is being recorded in the monitoring records (as well as the "meaningless"
>> traceid). That's the 'uscmsPool1836' full name in the above line.
>>
>> This, of course, brings up the question of how you got the full name displayed
>> in your log record? He only gets the x500 hash from the gsi plugin he is using.
>> I assume you are using the same plugin but your mapping function works (his does
>> not).
>
> I guess this is the log ... I only get UDP monitoring streams where this info is
> missing.

Can you give an example of what you get in the UDP monitoring stream (apologies if you already gave an example, but is lost in my inbox)?

> Even when we get the GSI plugin plugin -- this information will still be
> missing, as I'll get full DN, but not the full user name.

Actually, I'm planning on slightly abusing the new plugin Gerri promised: I'm going to put the DN info in the role and the local username in the object.  This way, sysadmins can continue to use the local username for their site authz, but we have a global identifier to correlate across sites.

> What is glxcuser in the above case?

Treat it as random characters (it's actually the first 8 characters of what the remote user thinks its name is).  It's a unique key to identify the login session.

Brian