Follow-up Comment #1, bug #84956 (project xrootd):

There are several issues here that may be confusing you.

1) cmsd's with role of server go out of their way to ignore the port setting
as it is immaterial, even to firewalls as they never accept incoming
connections. This is what appears to have happened in your problem
description.

2) The port directive is echoed even when it does not apply. This is actually
a bug. It is a pervasive bug (well more of an oversight) and will be
corrected.

3) In the listing it appears that the xrootd is also using a random port but
there is nothing in the log to support that the xrootd appearing in the
netstat had anything to do with the config file. In fact, trying the exact
scenario here on RHEL6 produced the expected results (i.e. the port number
was honored).

So, unless I hear otherwise, as soon as we fix the echoing problem, this
ticket will be closed.

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?84956>

  Message sent via/by LCG Savannah
  http://savannah.cern.ch/