Follow-up Comment #21, bug #86984 (project xrootd):

Thanks Brian. Indeed that is the issue and it only appears in "select"
versions of Scientific Linux as far as I can tell. I am developing a fix as
we speak and should have it in the repository within an hour. The problem
appeared when shared libraries were created for cmake. There, the code was
split in a way that allowed the loader to resolve symbols before fully
initializing the preload library. The proper fix is to make the preload
library dynamic (i.e., symbols are resolved when requested) as opposed to
static. However, the easier implementation is to simply re-factor the
XrdPosixPreload and XrdPosix libraries.

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?86984>

  Message sent via/by LCG Savannah
  http://savannah.cern.ch/