  Thanks for the information.  When I set DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT in /etc/sysconfig/xrootd .   I still do not get a core file.
Instead I ran the same command that the daemon runs from the xrootd account and was able to get a core file.
I started xrootd with this command -

/usr/bin/xrootd -l /var/log/xrootd/xrootd.log -c /etc/xrootd/xrootd-standalone.cfg -k 7 -b -s /var/run/xrootd/xrootd-default.pid -n default

and generated a core file:

http://ascnfs.hep.anl.gov:2080/xrootd-3.10-rc1/core.8526
http://ascnfs.hep.anl.gov:2080/xrootd-3.10-rc1/xrootd.log
http://ascnfs.hep.anl.gov:2080/xrootd-3.10-rc1/xrootd-standalone.cfg

Interestingly enough (perhaps it will help with debugging)

starting xrootd without -b switch and it runs fine. (OK I see this error:
111007 07:27:24 8573 cms_Finder: Waiting for cms path /var/spool/xrootd/admin/.olb/olbd.admin

The directory  /var/spool/xrootd/admin/.olb/  was not created automatically.

I hope all of this helps.

Cheers,

Doug