On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:17 AM, Lukasz Janyst wrote:

> 2011/10/10 Brian Bockelman <[log in to unmask]>:
>> We had one more in the pre-release series based on a git revision.  We have the difference for continuity for testers.
>>
>> Actually, I think you guys are using the version/release wrong.  The release is supposed to be reserved solely for the use of the packager, not the project.
>>
>> Each time you get a distinct set of code from the xrootd project, you want to bump the version number.  Each time the packager makes a change to the packaging for the same code base, you bump the release number.  This split allows xrootd.org to control one number and re-packagers to control another.
>>
>> Probably something worth cleaning up for 3.2.  It's definitely maintainable right now, just a touch confusing.
>
> Hmm, I am not sure about that... This really depends on how you treat
> the release candidates: do they have a status of a release or is it
> just an insignificant preview? I would opt for the later. Nevertheless
> it's worth looking into, thanks for pointing this out.

It's not the significance, it's "who is doing the change".  If I, as a packager, select where to cut the "insignificant preview", it should go into the release.  If you, as a part of the project, selects the ref (especially when it is tagged), it goes into the "version".

Needless to say, this is not a hard and fast rule.  But those of us downstream would sure appreciate this tweak.

Brian