2011/10/7 Paul T. Keener <[log in to unmask]>:
> I see load averages of 140 to 200 or more and I see a high percent of CPU
> time in wait states (70-80%) with a large number of interrupts (10-15K),
> both of these reported by dstat.

Hi Paul,

   if a significant fraction of the CPU is used by ksoftirqd it's
usually an indication that the kernel has troubles managing the
interrupts coming from the NIC (too much data coming from or going to
the wire). If possible, try to put the network driver for your device
in polling mode (the kernel then devotes one core to handling the
stuff coming from NIC and disables the NIC's interrupts), you should
see an improvement.

Cheers,
   Lukasz