Follow-up Comment #7, sr #124729 (project xrootd):

OK, I understand now. We also need the server's data port (short) and process
ID value (int). While this properly belongs in the header if we add it there
it will blow away all the existing data collectors, sigh. So, the only other
alternatives are:
1) Send a special start-up message with this information, or
2) add it to the window entry, which is guaranteed to appear in each IO
packet. Unfortunately, that doesn't really solve the "map" messages.

So, I'd go with (1) and perhaps send it periodically in case it's lost for
one reason or another. That allows you top cross-reference the start-up with
the UDP sending port number (should always be the same until the server
restarts).

As for shutdown, since you need to handle the case of a server crashing or a
machine rebooting, a SIGTERM message becomes a moot point. I know a lot of
people that simply kill the server with -9. So, you need a relatively
fool-proof way to figure it out. The start-up message should give you that.

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/support/?124729>

  Message sent via/by LCG Savannah
  http://savannah.cern.ch/