Hi Matevz,

2011/12/15 Matevz Tadel <[log in to unmask]>:
> We ((US)CMS) are thinking about sending custom session information from xrootd
> jobs via the user-info detailed monitoring messages (the 'i' message). Andy said
> he suspects that the interface to do this is not available in the "old" client.

   well, I definitely don't want any kind of a "dial home" mechanism
in the client itself, this kind of stuff annoys people (it would annoy
me). We could, however, think of some sort of a plug-in mechanism
which would allow you to load your own monitoring library and do
whatever you want there.

   Currently, there is a monitoring hook in xrdcp that could be loaded
from a custom library [1]. It should probably be extended/rewritten to
give you access to more information, and probably some hooks should be
put here [2] as well.

> As CMS will probably use the old client throughout 2012 I'd be willing to get it
> implemented for the next 3.X release. Does this sound good to you?

   Sure. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need more info.

> Writing this I realized I don't really know what's the status of the new client
> and at what point it will get pushed into the releases. Will this be 4.X?

   It's going slower than expected, unfortunately. Both because the
task turned out to be more complex than expected and because my
attention gets constantly preempted by something. I plan to have the
API level (without caching stuff) ready shortly after the CERN
Christmas break, and then work through January and February on the
tools (xrdcp, xrd...) and caching.

Lukasz

[1] http://xrootd.cern.ch/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/xrootd/tree/src/XrdClient/XrdClientAbsMonIntf.hh
[2] http://xrootd.cern.ch/cgi-bin/cgit.cgi/xrootd/tree/src/XrdClient/XrdClient.cc#n1966