Hi folks,

In CMS, Vincenzo has reported that using xrootd causes interesting memory spikes in our application.  He wrote up a page here:

https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/LCG/VIJemalloc

Basically, the conclusion is that by switching malloc implementations, the memory spikes (which are large - 500MB of RAM!) go away.  This likely indicates not memory leaks, but "abusive" memory allocation patterns or strange threading affects.

Any idea where these might be coming from?  Anything we can do to adjust this?

Thanks,

Brian