there is a file evtest1.c in evio-4.0 which was used to generate sample file,
it can be modified to generate something else.
Please use everything from recent evio-4.0 and jevio-4.0 from my jlab home
directory or Carl's svn, previous versions are not good, we did some changes
over last week to fix java.
Sergey