                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: ljanyst
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
      Fixed by commit(s):

Details:

Hi,

We had an issue upgrading at Wisconsin where the xrootd-server was updated
prior to one of the plugins used (specifically, xrootd-lcmaps).

I think this was the sequence of events:

When the server was restarted in %postun, xrootd-lcmaps hadn't yet updated.
The older version of xrootd-lcmaps relied on a library version which wasn't
available in 3.2.0.

Hence, the server restarted but was unable to load the security module.  This
resulted in failed clients until an admin manually intervened.

If the restart was moved to %posttrans, the server wouldn't be restarted
until the end of the RPM transaction - including all plugins that might
depend on parts of the xrootd-server.

I think this is a reasonable way to go, but it wouldn't hurt to have the IGE
folks eyeball this suggestion.

Since this hurts our ability to smoothly upgrade with no downtime, I'd like
to see this resolved (one way or the other) prior to the release.  I suspect
this is also true in other Xrootd versions - we just hadn't noticed it
previously.

Brian

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?93156>