Follow-up Comment #1, bug #96688 (project xrootd):

Hi Justin,

Just to clarify, a simple xrootd storage cluster consists of one redirector
and multiple xrootd data servers. We normally refer a "client" (the actual
client program, not physical machine) to your desktop, batch nodes, etc that
is not part of the xrootd storage cluster. Xrootdfs is a type of xrootd
client that provide a filesystem interface to the storage cluster (and since
it is a client, it runs on client machines) I hope that this is also what you
have in mind.

I am not sure why your run xrootd on a client. You should run xrootd/cmsd
pairs on redirector and data servers. You can run xrootfs on a client
machine. To further diagnose the problem, can you run the following command
on a client machine and let me know the output

xrd metamanager1.xrd.test locateall /data

Also, are there any machines with multiple NICs involved?

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?96688>