Hi Kyle,

I use the routine:

org.lcsim.hps.util.ConvertToStdhep.java

to convert the output of MadGraph (lhe files) to stdhep.  There is quite a bit of crap in here, but I think for your needs there are the classes:

import hep.io.stdhep.StdhepBeginRun;
import hep.io.stdhep.StdhepEndRun;
import hep.io.stdhep.StdhepEvent;
import hep.io.stdhep.StdhepWriter;

…the meat is StdhepEvent, which takes in a bunch of arrays describing the event.

The API is here:

http://java.freehep.org/lib/freehep/api/hep/io/stdhep/StdhepEvent.html

isthep :  state of particle (i.e. 1 is final state)
idhep :  PDG id of particle (11 is electron, 13 is muon, -13 is anti-muon…etc)
jmohep :  list of mothers
jdahep :  list of daughters
phep :  momenta
vhep :  origins

look at "writeLHEEvent" in ConvertToStdHep.java to see how this works.

mg