                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
      Fixed by commit(s):

Details:

When we want to include a dCache site with a dCache-native Xrootd door into a
Xrootd federation, we have to run a "dummy" xrootd/cmsd pair.

The xrootd daemon is set to statically redirect all clients to the dCache
door; the cmsd reads from /pnfs and advertises file availability.  So, to
read the data from that site, the client goes to:
1) The redirector,
2) The "dummy" xrootd instance,
3) The dCache Xrootd door.
4) The dCache pool.

Step (2) provides little value, is something that can "go wrong", and can be
eliminated.

I propose a "standalone" mode for the cmsd.  In this mode, the admin must
hardcode a xrootd endpoint for the cmsd to redirect clients to.  The cmsd
will pretend its xrootd pair is at that location.

Possible addition: When in this mode, cmsd will default to using XrdPss as
the OSS (if no OSS is specified) and use that to query Xrootd.  This way, if
the external door is down, the cmsd does not redirect additional clients.

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?98119>