It sounds like you're running TestRunOfflineRecon.lcsim on a file that was
generated by SLIC. You need to run the readout simulation. This converts
the Monte Carlo data from SLIC (hits and energy deposition in the detector
crystals and strips) to readout data (ADC counts from detector channels).

https://confluence.slac.stanford.edu/display/hpsg/Running+Readout+Simulation