Follow-up Comment #5, bug #99130 (project xrootd):

Actually, AtomicISM and AtomicDTZ are used only once each in XrdLink.cc for
the purposes of monitoring. Having the value drift is not a critical problem.
It just gives you a slightly (and I do mean slightly) wrong view of things if
one is actually interested in the values at all (they get reported in summary
monitoring and are usually not of interest). That doesn't mean it shouldn't be
fixed but the proper fix is to remove them from Atomics.hh as they really are
not atomic, as Geoffray pointed out.

Removing them from the header file does change a user interface so that
change would have to be held off until a major release change. Not using them
is relatively straightforward; we would just use the regular mutex path when
dealing with those values.

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/bugs/?99130>