> One of the really fun things that I would like to do, if only somebody
> would or could tell me how, is to diddle the tip, tilt, piston, rotation,
> and position terms for the RRSS.  This would allow me to start building the
> tools I will need to monitor the stability of the real LSST camera.

Dave-

you are the very first power user to request such bold functionality.
amazingly, you can already edit the file phosim/data/lsst/focalplanelayout.txt to do all of this already:

columns 10-12 are euler rotations for each chip (radians)
columns 13-14 are decenters for each chip (microns)
column 15 is piston (microns)
column 16 is the 2-d rotation of the pixel grid (degrees)
column 16-27 are zernike distortions of the shape (microns)

note some of these are degenerate intentionally.

i might suggest you make a directory parallel to data/lsst called fakelsst.  then copy all the files there and start making your own camera.
then when you run the phosim script use "-i fakelsst" and it will pick up all your custom files there.  or you can just edit the files, if you don't care about the defaults.

Have fun!

john