On Feb 7, 2013, at 5:08 PM, Jacek Becla <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> status from Serge
> - working on duplicator
>   - figured method to calculate region intersections.
>   - can be generalized for regions with holes etc.
>   - for now, document in code, make more official if
>     needed more widely in more places

Small correction: I figured out a way to calculate the area of a spherical region with holes/small circle edges etc… from it's boundary. Calculating the boundary of the intersection of arbitrary input geometries is not something I've figured out how to do (though I think there are algorithms from planar geometry that could be adapted, and I'm almost certain the JHU code can do this part for us if we really need it).

Luckily, the duplicator chunk/sub-chunk statistics estimator just needs to intersect triangles and spherical boxes, which is much easier.