Update of sr #135998 (project xrootd):

             Assigned to:                    None => abh

Follow-up Comment #2:

Hi Tommaso,

From what I understand here, the cmsd simple sits on top of your gpfs storage
which provides a union of online as well as offline files. So, from the file
system stand-point there is no way to know where the file is actually located
(disk or tape). If this is the case, we have only two options:

1) If we issue a filesystem stat() call, is there something in the returned
information that indicates whether or not the file is actually on disk? If it
does, we could make our oss plug-in sensitive to that and return file not
found.

2) If it is more complicated, then you would have to come up with a
specialized oss plugin (not very hard to do) to actually do the necessary
processing for his type of configuration.

So, how would I determine, as an application sitting on top of GPFS, whether
the file is actually on disk or not?

Andy

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/support/?135998>