Follow-up Comment #4, sr #135998 (project xrootd):

Hi Tommaso,

K, so we now know how to easily differentiate. Normally, the cmsd will report
files not on disk as "pending". We could add a directive option under the
"dfs" directive to not respond to "pending" files. For GPFS you would
necessarily use the "dfs" directive because that is what you actually run.

Normally, the other way people handle this (and I am not suggesting that you
do so), is to run a proxy server but tell the proxy to never allow access to
files that are not actually on disk. This is not ideal if you have no reason
to run a proxy server.

In any case, could you submit a "request for enhancement" ticket indicating
that you would like to have the system recognize GPFS offline files (as
indicated by blocks being 0) and an option to not export those files. I think
this is a very reasonable request and we should be able to put that in for
release 4.0.

Finally, am I correct in assuming that offline really means that st_size if
greater than zero but st_blocks is zero. Is that really the only way to
know?

Andy

  <http://savannah.cern.ch/support/?135998>