Jacek,

> Can we adopt a new rule: a qserv installation should
> never rely on directories outside of qserv install
> directory. I am talking about not relying on directories
> such as /dev, /tmp, /var, /log, etc... I know there
> was a lot of effort to move things off /tmp, /var,
> /log, but I noticed we still rely at least on /dev,
> e.g., our two "production" installations on lsst-db2
> are both sharing:

	I don't think this is necessarily a good idea.  /dev in
particular is the place for specialized files (devices).  Other
directories are traditional locations for system-wide servers to place
files.

	The main consideration should be that as long as multiple
instances of qserv can be running on a single host that any items placed
in such directories should be uniquely named.

> scratch_path = /dev/shm/qserv

	This should be /dev/shm/qserv.{pid} or something similar, if
this is really a shared memory section as suggested by its pathname (in
which case "scratch_path" sounds like a poor name).

--
Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, [log in to unmask]