Dear Colleagues,

First, let's plan to meet together after the wine and cheese on
Thursday at the Brookhaven meeting.   I will ask Sally about
an appropriate location, on or off site.

Now to the important point of this message:  I am reporting an
item from the phone meeting of the Snowmass conveners
that took place today.    There is also homework for you.

Steve Ritz and Jonathan Feng had the idea that it would be useful to
pose sharp questions for each frontier and for issues that overlap
frontiers.   They gave this request to their group of Cosmic Frontier
working group conveners.  I attach the list of questions generated
by this exercise as a plain text file.  Some of these
questions are very sharp.   Steve Ritz characterized them as

"The questions should produce discomfort, but they should promote
productive rather than unproductive  discussion."

These questions are mostly on the physics frontiers, but sharp
questions could also be asked to Instrumentation, Facilities, and
Computing.

The reaction of the conveners group to these questions was very
positive.  The general reaction was that Snowmass should try to
provide answers to these questions.  I think that the questions to the
Energy Frontier groups (HE1-6) enunciate well things that I hear
people asking.  Many of these are issues that your groups are
already working on.   But it is one thing to have them on your
list of questions, and it another thing to be told that leaders of
other Frontiers would like to hear the answers.

The conveners group imagined two uses for such lists of
questions, first, to bring forward questions that must be addressed
in the working group reports, second, to suggest that sessions at
the Minneapolis meeting should be devoted to discussion of these
issues.

We were all asked to go to our working group leaders and obtain
similar lists of questions, which could then be merged and
used in these ways.

So, please begin to make your own lists of sharp questions about
issues for the future of HEP.    If you send these to me and Chip,
we will assemble the list and iterate it back to the group for approval.
Don't pull punches; if we feel that a question is too harsh, we can
scale it back in a later iteration.

The due date for completion is mid-April.  Please send your first
round of suggestions soon so that we can discuss a first complied
list when we get together at Brookhaven.

Thank you,

Michael

  Michael E. Peskin                           [log in to unmask]
  HEP Theory Group, MS 81                       -------
  SLAC National Accelerator Lab.        phone: 1-(650)-926-3250
  2575 Sand Hill Road                       fax:     1-(650)-926-2525
  Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA              www.slac.stanford.edu/~mpeskin/