Hi Tim,

ah, that clarifies things!

Yes, the main thing that I'd like to be able to do is the first thing (compiled code reading in LCIO events and making a root analysis).
I've also been doing the second thing - examining the lcio file from the root command line. I like being able to do that,
(it's good to be able to quickly make a few simple plots from a command line) but sure, this is not essential.

That said, Ubuntu is a widely used system, and if fixing LCIO so it can be made under it seems like something that needs to get done.
We'd be happy to be Ubuntu Guinea pigs…

-y