Dear Chip, Michael,

At the instrumentation meeting in Boulder, we discussed the importance of more engagement with the Energy Frontier physics group. We drafted some questions that would help us relate technology R&D to physics goals and assemble a proposal for an R&D program that would best support the physics goals of the different frontiers.

Ashutosh already sent out a draft of these questions earlier this week. Below I am including a slightly expanded set of questions.

I am copying the snowmass-ef mailing list but please forward as necessary so that all interested parties see this. We are interested in replies at all levels: qualitative answers, which can maybe be given on a rather short time scale and answers backed up by detailed simulations which necessarily will take longer and maybe cannot cover all aspects.

We’re looking forward to a fruitful exchange of ideas in preparation of the snowmass meeting in MN.

Ulrich Heintz

Questions from Instrumentation to Energy Frontier:

·         can you identify benchmark physics goals that push the technology of current detectors?

·         what is the performance that you are assuming for simulations?

·         which aspects of detector performance are critical for each of these?

·         what improvements in the detector would be transformational for the physics reach?

·         do you know how much the physics reach changes as certain detector properties are varied? Can you be quantitative: how much of an improvement is needed to make a difference?

·         how important is fast time stamping of the signals from the detector? For which detector parts would this be most important?

·         how important is the forward region?

·         how important is high b-tagging efficiency at low pT/at high pT?

·         what are the requirements for triggers? In particular: how important are tau triggers, missing ET triggers and missing ET resolution? How important are inclusive lepton trigger thresholds ?

Use REPLY-ALL to reply to list

To unsubscribe from the SNOWMASS-EF list, click the following link:
https://listserv.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SNOWMASS-EF&A=1