On Apr 19, 2013, at 5:51 AM, "Peskin, Michael E." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am confused by this thread.
>
> The main barrier to improvement of alphas is the fact that it is difficult to disentangle perturbative and nonperturbative contributions to event shapes in e+e-.   The nonperturbative contributions fall off as 1/Q, so a substantial moment arm in Q is needed.   Currently what is done is to compare Z
> data with PEP/PETRA data, although the latter is taken with detectors that are now two generations old.
>
> If TLEP is built, it will be possible to get high-statistics samples of e+e- event shapes in the same, modern detector at 91 GeV, 250 GeV, and 350 GeV.  Then it should be possible to fit out the 1/Q terms and reach per mil precision in alphas.    Probably it is worth bringing in an alphas expert (e.g. Iain Stewart at MIT) to quantify this.

I presume the statistics required to make the 1/Q  (and maybe 1/Q^2 since a total of 3 mass values are available)  non-perturbative corrections are much smaller that the statistics needed at the Z pole for the "primary" measurement? Because 250 GeV and 350 GeV will have much lower statistics than Z pole. Plus, they are on the "wrong" side - the high-mass points will be less sensitive to non-perturbative…PEP/PETRA were on the "better" side being more sensitive to non-perturbative.

Indeed, it will be nice if someone like Iain would work out the basic statistical analysis of alphaS and its non-perturbative correction.

The other direction of thought is to consider the theoretical invention of a new "event shape" variable which has weaker dependence on non-perturbative contributions (i.e. "more infrared safe" ?) while sacrificing statistical sensitivity to alphaS

I mean, invent some variable X = f(alphaS) + g(non-perturbative)  where f has weaker dependence (the sacrifice) but g is MUCH smaller than variables used in the past.  Then one could still win with super-high statistics.

> Need I add that, if ILC is built in Japan, we can carry out this program even sooner and extend it to even higher energies?

sure!

I think this program adds a good bit of richness and diversity of physics topics to both ILC and TLEP.  Having more options and measurements one could make,  provides a sense of "contingency" (to put it bluntly) which is always good when large investments are involved…

regards,
Ashutosh