Hi All!

Prompted by *many* requests from the XLDB community
to collect, publish and organize use cases related
to managing and analyzing large data sets, and by a
$100,000 gift from the Betty & Gordon Moore Foundation
donated specifically to bootstrap the work on xldb
use cases (big thank you!), we have put together
a new, wiki-based system for use cases. You can
access it through xldb.org, or by going directly to:

http://xldb.org/use

It's been seeded with a few use cases we had collected
in the past, and a few (still incomplete) use cases from
our neighborhood. It is far from perfect, but it is
a start. Now, the next (big) step is to try and capture
all these valuable use cases that your company, your
project and/or your clients have related to large scale
data management and analytics, and therefore we are
*soliciting your in-kind contribution* to document
the use cases you know, to help us reach out to these
who have interesting use cases, to help us curate and
translate domain specific jargons into a common language,
to assist others with entering their use cases, and to
continue improving what we have. Inevitably, it is all going
to take some non-negligible effort, especially in the initial
phase. The contributions can range from as little as 10-15
minutes (one short use case), to as much as full time for
a month, a year, ... or longer! We have already started
discussions with several companies that expressed interest
in supporting this activity about ways to get help, but
of course the more help from a variety of places we get,
the better!

If you plan to enter your use cases, don't worry about
making them immediately perfect and complete. It will
be an iterative process, and we will do our best to
guide you and to help you.

The need for collecting use cases keeps coming up at
every XLDB workshop and every XLDB conference -- it
is the #1 need beyond organizing the XLDB events as
far as we can tell. So, let's make it happen!

Best regards,
Jacek