Below is Jeff's report from our May 2003 game - cutoff was 30. I bet you
guys in '99 it was in the 20s.  George

SLAC soccer club,

I hope some others will send out their own write-ups from tonight's Old
Farts vs. Young Guns game, for a different perspective.

I thought it was a very enjoyable game.  Everyone 31 and older played for
the Old Farts, while everyone 30 and younger played for the Young Guns
(except Dave Fryberger was lent to the Young team to give them a booster
shot of experience and guile).

A decisive moment was when Gunther and I chose to have the wind in our
faces the first half.  There was a bit of a breeze, and we thought the OF
team might poop out late in the game.  The game was evenly matched, with
about 16 a side at the peak.  We saw a few new faces, and a few faces we
hadn't seen for a while, but most players were seasoned SLAC soccer club
players.

The Young Guns scored first, midway through the first half.  A ball wasn't
cleared well, and someone put it in (I forget who).  But the Old Farts held
strong, and Jesus scored late in the first half to tie it up.  Apparently,
he thought the OF team complained too much (probably it was me trying to
get people to sub out to accommodate 5 subs) and switched sides at
halftime.  The Young Guns turned it on in the second half, thanks in part
to the wind at our backs, with Paul, Hooman, George and Sauro scoring, with
a couple of Young Guns scoring as well to keep it interesting (Martin, and
that 19-year-old-twinkletoes guy).  Since Jesus went from OF to YG, the OF
team snagged Edwin from the YG team to replace Gunther in goal, and he made
some key saves to keep the OF ahead.  The final score was 5-3 in favor of
the Old Farts.

 I think that if Manny hadn't tweaked his knee, it might have ended
differently, as he'd played a stellar game of defense for the Young Guns
for over 60 minutes.  The only other injury I know of is Jamey's ankle,
which I stepped on hard.  He says it's not bad, so I hope he can play
Tuesday.

It was nice to have 8 goals scored by 8 different players.  One play of
note was an excellent shot on goal from Dave Fryberger, which required a
brilliant save from Edwin.

After the game, we had a very nice barbecue.  A special thanks to those who
brought grills (Sauro, Becky and Martin).  I introduced Manny to "Hostess
Ding Dongs", and I managed to tape record Dave Fryberger during the post
game festivities (attached file...)

Everyone agreed we should do this again in July or August, with some other
sort of division of players.  Someone suggested "violent players vs.
non-violent..."

Jeff

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Olson, Jeffrey R <[log in to unmask]