Ming,

You're one of those unique individuals who never ages.  Be happy.

Joe

On May 29, 2013, at 12:25 PM, Minghui Lu <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

So I'll stuck in young gun team forever

On May 29, 2013, at 11:25 AM, george ugras <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Below is Jeff's report from our May 2003 game - cutoff was 30. I bet you guys in '99 it was in the 20s.  George

SLAC soccer club,

I hope some others will send out their own write-ups from tonight's Old Farts vs. Young Guns game, for a different perspective.

I thought it was a very enjoyable game.  Everyone 31 and older played for the Old Farts, while everyone 30 and younger played for the Young Guns (except Dave Fryberger was lent to the Young team to give them a booster shot of experience and guile).

A decisive moment was when Gunther and I chose to have the wind in our faces the first half.  There was a bit of a breeze, and we thought the OF team might poop out late in the game.  The game was evenly matched, with about 16 a side at the peak.  We saw a few new faces, and a few faces we hadn't seen for a while, but most players were seasoned SLAC soccer club players.

The Young Guns scored first, midway through the first half.  A ball wasn't cleared well, and someone put it in (I forget who).  But the Old Farts held strong, and Jesus scored late in the first half to tie it up.  Apparently, he thought the OF team complained too much (probably it was me trying to get people to sub out to accommodate 5 subs) and switched sides at halftime.  The Young Guns turned it on in the second half, thanks in part to the wind at our backs, with Paul, Hooman, George and Sauro scoring, with a couple of Young Guns scoring as well to keep it interesting (Martin, and that 19-year-old-twinkletoes guy).  Since Jesus went from OF to YG, the OF team snagged Edwin from the YG team to replace Gunther in goal, and he made some key saves to keep the OF ahead.  The final score was 5-3 in favor of the Old Farts.

 I think that if Manny hadn't tweaked his knee, it might have ended differently, as he'd played a stellar game of defense for the Young Guns for over 60 minutes.  The only other injury I know of is Jamey's ankle, which I stepped on hard.  He says it's not bad, so I hope he can play Tuesday.

It was nice to have 8 goals scored by 8 different players.  One play of note was an excellent shot on goal from Dave Fryberger, which required a brilliant save from Edwin.

After the game, we had a very nice barbecue.  A special thanks to those who brought grills (Sauro, Becky and Martin).  I introduced Manny to "Hostess Ding Dongs", and I managed to tape record Dave Fryberger during the post game festivities (attached file...)

Everyone agreed we should do this again in July or August, with some other sort of division of players.  Someone suggested "violent players vs. non-violent..."

Jeff