Hi, sorry for the slow reply. I am forwarding this to the software mailing list, since it appears from your error that the problem may be with the KpixConfig stuff which may indicate an incompatibility with the data you are using. Dmitry should be able to help with that.

But for the record here is what I did to get things to work for me:

*) I used JAS 3.0.0-beta6 from http://java.freehep.org/maven2/org/freehep/jas-assembly/3.0.0-beta-6/jas-assembly-3.0.0-beta-6-distribution.tar.gz
*) I used the JAS plugin manager to download KPIX file reader plugin version 1.6.6. I think this is equivalent to what is in the trunk of subversion
*) I downloaded the two most recent files (.bin and .bin.xml) from here:
https://confluence.slac.stanford.edu/pages/viewpageattachments.action?pageId=126517668&metadataLink=true
*) I put the following in ~/.kpix/calibration.xml:
<calibration_db>
<data_file id="2013_04_05_12_47_18.bin">
<calib_xml_file path="/home/tonyj/Data/2013_04_04_18_07_56.bin.xml" action="overwrite"/>
</data_file>
</calibration_db>
*) I opened the .bin file in JAS
*) I used the KPIXEventBrowser to step to the first real event (non-XML record). That is something like the 10th record.
*) I opened the WIRED4 View.

An event display appeared. I am not sure which of these steps is necessary, or how important the order is!

Tony