Subject: notes from qserv mtg (May 2)
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 22:24:42 -0700
From: Jacek Becla <[log in to unmask]>
To: LSST Data Management <[log in to unmask]>

Attendees: Serge, Douglas, Daniel, Jacek

W13 (Douglas)
  - all good, row counts correct, etc
  - had issues: one table was missing in the dump
  - csv dump periodically had a blank line, which crushed
    partitioner
    --> try to find out how these lines got inserted [Jacek]
  - next steps:
    a) transfer to lsst10 [Douglas]
    b) install qserv on lsst10 [Douglas]

buildbot
  - was waiting for fixes from in2p3
  - have it now (in 0.5rc1)
  --> Douglas will follow up w/Robyn

qserv releases
  - when cutting a release, keep release notes:
    - version
    - date
    - short list of major things that went in
    - list of tickets

parser (Daniel)
  - common queries, eg selects, scans, near neighbor, count,
    limit etc all supported
  - working on "average" - can of worms, need to support math,
    affects most of the parser.
    - Implemented, stabilizing these changes now
    - Daniel leaving tomorrow for over a week (out of country)
    - will have it ready for review after next week
  - move parser code to separate directory?
    - 20 new files, 10-15 go away
    - not yet, maybe in the future

metadata (Jacek)
  - migrated lots more qserv code, all table parameters are now
    configured via metadata
  - also fixed mysql connection timeout issue in qms (#2851)
  - need to fix in qserv, Douglas already saw issues
    with qserv after day+ inactivity (#2854)

"next" branch
  - just created
  - in the next few weeks will be used to merge new
    parser code+queryRewriting with new metadata

partitioner (Serge)
  - started crushing when turned on compiler optimizations (-o2),
    in thread segfaults
  - because gcc string not thread safe
  - warning: we are using strings in master, too and it is
    multi-threaded
    - probably didn't see the issues because we don't use
      compiler optimizations (yet...)
    --> try with the optimizations [Serge]
  - do we need self-overlap?
    - probably not

threading in the master (Serge)
  - started looking into it

managing info about schema
  - qms keeps full info about schema
  - new partitioner needs info about partitioned tables
     - currently managed through config
     - see source.cfg in #2458
     - suggestion: new partitioner should query qms
       to get info it needs
     --> create ticket: [Serge]
     --> document better the metadata [Jacek]

large scale tests prep
  - nodes arriving in May
  - would be good if Douglas could go to in2p3
     - eg, june 29-july 6
     --> re-ask Jeff [Jacek]
  --> talk to in2p3 about need to increase max_threads
      count on the test machines

There are commits in qserv done by
"Compte Installe Qserv <[log in to unmask]>"
  - we want all commits to be signed by real people
    --> mention to the IN2P3 team

do we need the new duplicator for the large scale test?
  - yes!
  --> Douglas will test it
  --> Daniel will review

unclassified
  - scheduling mtg with Monty in July
  - trying to find dates that work for db architecture
    potential reviewers
    - Douglas gone July 30-Aug 8

writing documentation (today!)
  - duplicator [Serge]
  - partitioning (Serge added last night - all: read)
  - parser [Daniel]
  - metadata [Jacek]
  - partitioning w13 using batch nodes [douglas]

next meetings
  - next week (without Daniel)
  - 2 weeks from now (without Jacek)
  - 2 weeks from now is the larger mtg, Daniel can coordinate

Jacek