Minutes for the Energy Frontier conveners' meeting   May 2, 2013

Attending, at least: Rick, Yuri, LianTao, Sally, Michael S, Heather, Soeren, Ken, John, Kaustabh, Marina, Cecilia, Markus, Daniel, Chris, Ashutosh, Eric T, Chip, and Michael P.

1.  Chip reported on discussions with ATLAS and CMS.  The two collaborations are
now at least formally engaged with our Snowmass process.  They will contribute White
Papers to Snowmass. We will invited ATLAS and CMS to give plenary talks in Seattle.

2.  We discussed the program of the Seattle meeting.   Chip had sent a block diagram.
Most of the time for the meeting is allotted to "parallel sessions", which is time to be
scheduled by the working groups.  Chip and Michael encourage the working groups not to
schedule all of their time for talks but rather to leave time for discussions, within
each working group, on how to respond to feedback on the report conclusions.

Plenary time is scheduled for
  Sunday:   Reports on the bulleted lists of preliminary conclusions of the working group reports.
  Monday:   Talks from ATLAS, CMS, ILC, and Instrumentation Frontier
  Tuesday:  Panel discussion  (format as in Brookhaven)  on "What should be the major conclusions
                  of the Energy Frontier report?"
  Wednesday:  20' summary from each working group:   What remains to be done?   End by noon.

 Comments on the schedule

     1.  It might be seen as odd that we are inviting ILC and not other "Higgs Factory"
           proposals.  The philosophy that Chip and Michael took is that large international
             organizations involved in energy frontier should be invited to give plenaries,
              but that we did not have time to invite someone for every proposal.  We
                will change "ILC" to "Linear Collider Board" and we will try to get the
                 chair, Sachio Komamiya.

      2.  No time was given for overlaps between EF and other frontiers.  This should be
              remedied.  Important overlap topics are dark matter and new particle contributions
                to rare processes.  We task the New Physics and Flavor conveners with  proposing
                some people to be invited to give these talks.  Chip and Michael will consult
                with the IF and CF conveners.  We propose to schedule these talks on Sunday or
                Monday afternoon, in the large auditorium but maybe in parallel with other
                  meetings.

3. Michael presented the renewed list of parallel sessions that we propose for Minnesota
(repeated below).  Everyone should look at this so that we can complete this list in the
next few weeks.

4.  We discussed two of the questions that came to us from the Cosmic Frontier.  Some interesting
points were:

   Discussion of Higgs precision:

      Heather Logan and Chris Tully emphasized that precision Higgs physics has to be thought
         of in a broader context beyond the measurement of branching ratios. To make a
         comparison of SM theory to experiment at the sub-percent level,
             the Higgs mass must be known to better than 50 MeV
             mb and mc must be improved  (from lattice gauge theory?)
             mt and alphas must be improved
          It is a whole program;  the Higgs group will try to explain this and point out the
             contributions needed from different facilities.

   Discussion of upper limit on SUSY masses:

      It is a sharp question when to give up on SUSY, but the answer is not so sharp.  We
          discussed various routes to answering this question.

Thanks to all.   We will meet again next week.