minutes of the meeting of Energy Frontier conveners

May 9, 2013    11-12 PDT   2-3 EDT

attending:  Michael, Chip, Tom, Cecilia, Rick, Markus, Jianming, John Campbell, Heather, Soren, Marina, Andrei, Kaustubh, Chris Tully

0.  We reminded everyone that, although we had set 13 TeV as the canonical LHC energy at Brookhaven, the ATLAS and CMS collaborations have asked us to quote projections of LHC capabilities at 14 TeV.  We ask all working groups to follow this guidance.  Michael has sent a reminder to all of the Snowmass mailing lists.

1. We discussed the new version of the program grid for the Seattle meeting, which was circulated in the email announcing the meeting.   A murmur of approval was heard.  We have asked Gordon Watts to post this on the Seattle meeting site.

 You are responsible for scheduling the time shown as blue on this diagram.  Or, not scheduling it, as you wish.

2. We discussed the current list of questions from Energy Frontier to the other frontiers.  The current state of this list is attached (a txt or plain text file).  We have updated the list with suggestions from this meeting.  This assignment from Jon Rosner is very much overdue.  Marina has promised one or two additional questions on quark flavor violation.  But if anyone else has comments, please hurry.  Michael will send this to Jon first thing tomorrow. Additional questions have been added by Marina (flavor and mixing) and Chip (computing) have been added. They are attached.

3. We discussed the questions from Instrumentation Frontier sent to us by Uli Heinz.  Some of the issues we discussed made it onto the list of questions attached to go back to the instrumentation and computing frontiers. Other topics that we discussed were:

  importance of b tagging for ttbar h,  double h production, heavy t, b searches
  importance of the forward region in controlling the error on MET. In general,
      the detector should be active up to an angle  of order mW/Ebeam  from the beam
        axis. This is 1.3 degrees at LHC-7 and 0.1 degrees at the VLHC.
     further, top pair production and other hard processes are increasingly forward
       at higher energies
     some aspects of QCD dynamics (e.g. BFKL) require far forward detection
  importance of tau tagging and tau rejection in a variety of analyses.  Also, the
       strong dependence of tau observation on tau polarization

4. We remind you that we need to discuss again the list of Big Questions for Snowmass and the list of sessions of general interest that we will propose for Minnesota.

5. Two requests in Michael's talk at Brookhaven were not answered yet:  First, if you would like anyone to receive a personal invitation to the Seattle meeting, please send an email to Michael and Chip.   Kaustubh and Kirill sent a list of theorists, and these people were all personally invited.   Second, Michael and Chip would like to receive information relevant to the white paper on US physicists at accelerators abroad.  See pp. 14-15 of the attached pdf.

Thank you!

Chip and Michael