Doing some testing I have seen that the copy command is CPU bound and limits file downloads (serverside cached file 4Gb) to ~ 770 MB/s

The single stream performance is ~ 350 MB/s to reach 770 MB/s I need to use 15 parallel sockets and export XRD_CPPARALLELCHUNKS=10

It is mainly system time.

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 1600.000
cache size : 8192 KB

The poller implementation has marginal effect (<2%) on the performance.

I can saturate the 10GB network by running two copy commands.

PS: the default 'xrdcp' command has weird performance ranging from 40-500 MB/s with regular hick-ups ...