On 05/28/2013 09:13 AM, Henrik Öhman wrote:
> Dear Martin,
>
> In addition to what Andy said about variables being additive or
> overwritten there is a common pattern to set all.role and all.manager
> in a clustered configuration
>
> all.role server
> all.role manager if headnode.example.com
> all.manager headnode.example.com 1213
>
> This way you can use the same configuration for the headnode in a
> cluster (here headnode.example.com) as for the worker nodes, and they
> will have the correct values for all.role and all.manager. The server
> role is the default, and if the hostname matches headnode.example.com
> the role will be overwritten to specify manager instead.

matter of taste, I guess, but with a configuration management system I
would tend to push all conditionals (as well as xrootd-style variables)
into the manifests/templates, in order to make the final file on each
node as short and obvious as possible..
i.e. in your example "headnode" is a "manager" even if xrootd for some
weird reason doesn't recognize the FQDN as being itself (odd DNS alias,
secondary interface, messed-up /etc/hosts ..).

Cheers
jan