The problem is that the new-old xrdcp is adding the CGI to the local target file name when the target specified on the command line is a local directory. It should not be doing this. It's likely a simple concatenation/trimming bug.

The feature you're mentioning is another issue entirely and the new client does in fact support it in the exact way you describe it should be. You're right that the old code misses this feature, but I think we should not bother with it now.