Forwarded message.

Ron

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Comments on Whitepaper Assumptions about Higgs Rate
Date: 	Thu, 18 Jul 2013 17:41:55 -0500
From: 	Mark A Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	Estia J Eichten <[log in to unmask]>, Ron Lipton <[log in to unmask]>,
"Jean-Pierre E. A. Delahaye" <[log in to unmask]>

Dear all,

We must be careful to consistently state our assumptions about the Higgs
cross section and production
rates in the Snowmass papers.  In particular, numbers have been quoted
which do not properly account
for Initial State Radiation.  Estia has just completed an analysis to
get a reasonable estimate of the
cross sections taking this into account and we need to make sure the
rates and timescales for locating
the Higgs are adjusted accordingly.  Our goal is not to change plots and
analysis tables that are based
on looking at particular numbers of Higgs, but to state the integrated
luminosities required to get there
properly.  The following table summarizes the numbers that we will be
using in the accelerator (ie, MASS)
white paper and which should also propagate to the Higgs Factory notes.

First, here are some operating assumptions:

1) Run initially with a machine producing an average luminosity of
1.7e31/cm^2/s and find the Higgs
2) Continue running on resonance in the initial configuration for 1 year
3) Assume that the cooling channel and combiner ring modifications to
reach full luminosity are completed
     during this running period
4) Then continue running for 5 years at full luminosity on resonance

The relevant numbers for the 1+ 5 year scenario are in the attached
table.  For each whitepaper, please
verify what language updates need to be made to bring your contributions
into consistency with these
overall assumptions.

Best,
Mark, Estia, Ron, and Jean-Pierre

*__*
*Mark A. Palmer, **/Director, U.S. Muon Accelerator Program/*
*Fermilab*, P.O. Box 500, MS221, Batavia, IL 60510-0500
Voice: (630)840-4036