I have added preliminary support for 3D fields in the compact description for LCDD.

You can find a very simple example here in GeomConverter:

testResources/org/lcsim/geometry/field/FieldMap3DTest.xml

The LCDD output can be generated as follows:

java -jar ./target/GeomConverter-2.8-SNAPSHOT-bin.jar -o lcdd ./testResources/org/lcsim/geometry/field/FieldMap3DTest.xml ./FieldMap3DTest.lcdd

The XML element in LCDD has a reference to a file name, so the directory where the command is executed does matter.

That command ends up generating the field element as follows in the LCDD:

<field_map_3d name="FieldMapTest" lunit="mm" funit="tesla" filename="./testResources/org/lcsim/geometry/field/HPS_b18d36_unfolded.dat" />

When slic loads it must be able to find this map in the proper location that is referenced.  (Much like loading an HTML file that has sub-content.)

The final piece that needs to be done here for complete support of the field maps is porting the C++ code for the 3D mag field implementation into Java so that it is accessible from lcsim in the standard way.

Norman, do you want to do this?  Or would you like me to port the code you gave me for LCDD?

--Jeremy