- Slide 1: this sets the stage for what our focus was in the QCD group: do we have the tools to distinguish signal from background in the plot on the right? This is QCD enabling discovery science. - Slide 2: this emphasizes another message, that QCD is necessary to enable precision science as well. Future Higgs coupling determinations at the HL-LHC will be theory-limited in many cases. Only precision QCD will address this obstacle. - Slide 3: this is our PDF summary. The left plot shows an area of current interest, where more work is needed: incorporating QED effects into PDF fits. In 2004, only a model calculation with an unreliable error estimate was known. In 2013, a careful revisiting of the QED PDFs revealed a sizable shift in central value, and a drastic increase in the error. The right plot shows that the errors are still large for the qqbar luminosity in the multi-TeV `discovery' region, and that HL-LHC data (specifically sets such as DY and W charge asymmetry binned in invariant mass and rapidity) is needed to decrease these errors. Both plots are from Snowmass studies. - Slide 4: This plot shows the structure of a QCD observable, and emphasizes the intricate nature of making a QCD prediction at colliders. Resummation is needed in the peak region. Fixed-order is needed in the tail. Both approaches are needed in the transition region... which is exactly the relevant one for experiment, particularly the Higgs. - Slide 5: The plot shows one of the recent NNLO 2->2 calculations presented in our report: gg->Hg. The sentences on the right show give some perspective on this result from Lance, which were presented at LoopFest, the premier conference on radiative corrections in the US. - Slide 6: The "wishlist" is a product of community discussions from Les Houches-Snowmass, that try to provide some summary of the most important calculations that the QCD field should undertake in order to fully utilize the physics potential of the future hadron-collider program. - Slide 7: This is our slide showing the importance of EW Sudakov logs. On the left, we like the suggestion of using the same plot as in the first slide... without a proper accounting of QCD+EW, it just isn't possible to disentangle signal from background in the discovery region. A nice summary table of where EW Sudakovs are important is shown. ######################################################################## Use REPLY-ALL to reply to list To unsubscribe from the SNOWMASS-EF list, click the following link: https://listserv.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SNOWMASS-EF&A=1