Dear Eric, Graham, et al.

I think we have to be very clear about the technical readiness levels of these different machines.

    o ILC has a detailed TDR and, importantly, the accelerating structures will be tested in anger in the coming years at XFEL.

    o CLIC has a detailed conceptual design report based on a long programme of R&D. The CDR provided validation of the elements of the accelerator and no show stoppers were identified. This strong R&D programme is continuing at CERN with a development phase 2012-2016. The aim of this phase is to be in a position where CLIC could be proposed as a realistic option for a TeV lepton collider on the timescale of the results from the LHC Run 2.

    o The muon collider is an extremely challenging project and there are a number of key areas that need to be demonstrated. I agree with Eric that the MAP has the potential to support a rich programme of physics. However, in the context of the EF, the muon collider is at a significantly lower TRL than CLIC. For example, we are likely to have to wait until the end of the decade before 4D muon cooling is demonstrated.

    o At this stage TLEP is a concept; there is no CDR.

In my opinion there is a clear hierarchy here.

			cheers,
				Mark

Prof. Mark Thomson
E-mail: [log in to unmask]