Hi Chip,
    The energy for the pp collider came about in an interesting way.  It was set roughly by 350 GeV for e+e- circular and then
the sweet spot for ~15T magnets to get 100 TeV.  I agree with Sheldon that there was great support for having an order of
magnitude higher energy scale as the new mark for the highest energy frontier for pp.  From Chip's EF summary, I think many
people remarked at the claim that a 100 TeV pp machine could rule out the entire WIMP dark matter hypothesis up to the
relic density.  If that claim holds up (including the indirect components), then 100 TeV would give closure to the question of
whether dark matter (as a single component WIMP entity) can be produced with colliders, but then one
has to look at energy what is needed to cover discovery over the full mass range as well.  I think that one can say that the
synergy between direct and collider-produced dark matter searches continues up to the VLHC energy scale - not to
mention the 1/10000 fine tuning that would come with the Higgs.
Best,
Chris

On Aug 18, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Sheldon Stone <[log in to unmask]>