HI Markus,

Michael can chime in, but what I took away was that 100 was indeed a benchmark number, whereas before it was just a no-content, toss-off designation for "VLHC". That's what made it interesting I thought. Why not 80? Why not 33? Well, because 100 has shown up to be interesting and the others, notsomuch.

Otherwise, it's a statement about HE that can and has been made at any point in time. And that's exactly what I don't want to try to defend to HEPAP since it's almost explicitly what Siegrist said he didn't want to see: "Snowmass says that more energy is what we really want." In that sense, why not 200 TeV?

That's why the "per se" clause. It allows us to say _explicitly_  that we're not just doing the standard "more energy" but something different. That, I can defend.

So your suggested change is really just about equivalent to what we sent yesterday, but without the per se clause and with 'unprecedented' added back in... My problem with "unprecedented" is the why not 150TeV, or 200TeV. They too would be unprecedented.

Calling someone out meant exactly the same thing in my youth. But now Webster says: "to summon into action" which is indeed the thing!

best
Chip

On Aug 25, 2013, at 2:45 PM, "Markus A. Luty" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>