Here are some comments on V4 executive summary. As per Chip's instructions,
I am focusing on the parts other than the energy frontier executive summary.

--------------------------

On the big questions: I would suggest putting questions 1, 9, and 10
together, although I realize that there are probably political
sensitivities involved in the current order.

Specific suggestions for the questions:

Question 1: Like Ashutosh, I found it a little vague. It is not obvious
what research in our field is addressing these questions. Also, I think it
does not do justice to just how fundamental the Higgs is, how we now see
everything through Chip's Higgs glasses.

Old paragraph:

1. How do we understand the Higgs boson?  What principle determines its
couplings to quarks and leptons?  Why does it condense and acquire a vacuum
value throughout the  universe?  Is there one Higgs particle, or many?  Is
the Higgs particle elementary or composite?

Suggested paragraph:

1. Is the Higgs boson solely responsible for the mass of all elementary
particles? Are there additional Higgs bosons? Is the Higgs particle
elementary or composite? The Higgs boson has potential connections to many
of the other questions below. Can we experimentally establish these
connections?

Question 9: I think it should refer more to principles and big ideas rather
than particles.

Old paragraph:

9. Are there new particles at the TeV energy scale?  Such particles are
motivated by the problem of the Higgs boson, and by ideas about spacetime
symmetry such as supersymmetry and extra dimensions. If they exist, how do
they acquire mass, and what is their mass spectrum? Do they carry new
sources of quark and lepton mixing and CP violation?

Suggested new paragraph:

9. What are the principles that determine the Higgs boson mass scale?
Naturalness of this scale motivates new particles at the TeV scale, and
possibly new spacetime symmetries associated with supersymmetry or extra
dimensions. Can we establish these principles experimentally if these new
particles are discovered? Do they provide clues to the pattern of quark and
lepton mixing and CP violation?

Question 10: Suggest that "higher energies" be made more concrete, say TeV
scale.

Old paragraph:

10. Are there new particles at higher energies? ...

Suggested new paragraph:

10. Are there new particles at energies beyond the TeV scale?

--------------------------

Suggestions for the introductory section:

Line 11: "What are the most elementary constituents of nature and what are
the forces that cause them to interact?"

I would change this to: "What are the principles that underlie the
fundamental laws of nature? What are the elementary constituents of matter
and the forces that cause them to interact?"

Line 18: "The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 completes the picture of
the particle world called the Standard Model..."

This paragraph is written as if we know there is only one Higgs boson. Of
the questions that are mentioned, none of them refer to BSM physics such as
SUSY or extended EWSB sectors.

Old paragraph:

The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 completes the picture of the
particle world called the Standard Model, a remarkable achievement made
possible by decades of worldwide collaboration. However, the Standard Model
still leaves significant questions unanswered: What is the nature of the
Higgs boson? What do neutrino masses tell us? Are the known forces part of
a unified structure? What is the composition of 95% of the universe? What
mechanism explains the dominance of matter over antimatter? To answer these
questions, a variety of approaches is needed rather than a single
experiment or technique. Particle physics uses three basic approaches,
often characterized as exploration across the cosmic, energy, and intensity
frontiers. Each approach employs different tools and techniques, but they
ultimately address the same fundamental questions.

Suggested new paragraph:

The Higgs boson discovery in 2012 completes the particle content of the
Standard Model of particle physics and gives the first direct experimental
information about the mechanism for generating mass for elementary
particles. This is a remarkable achievement made possible by decades of
worldwide collaboration. However, the Standard Model still leaves
significant questions unanswered: Is the Higgs boson solely responsible for
particle masses? Is the Higgs boson mass scale natural? What do neutrino
masses tell us? Are the known forces part of a unified structure? What is
the composition of 95% of the universe? What mechanism explains the
dominance of matter over antimatter? Particle physics uses three basic
approaches, often characterized as exploration across the cosmic, energy,
and intensity frontiers. Each approach employs different tools and
techniques, but they ultimately address the same fundamental questions.

Line 29: "In designing a program, the priorities of other regions of the
world need to be taken into account."

This sounds a bit weak, like we are letting others dictate our science
policy. I would prefer that we make clear that the fact that other
countries are contributing substantially is an opportunity for the US.

Suggested new wording:

The ambitious program of answering these questions requires long-term
vision and global partnerships. Other regions of the world are contributing
increasingly to this effort, and true international partnership is
essential for further progress. ....

Best,

Markus Luty

Physics Department