Thank you for testing guys! It looks like this issue has been caused by somewhat retarded behavior of RPM scriptlet calling sequence when names of packages change.

In this case the the sequence, surprisingly, looked like this:
1) the %pre scriptlet of the new xrootd RPM has been called (sets up the user accounts if needed)
2) the %post scriptlet of the new xrootd RPM has been called (sets up the init scripts and start-up sequences)
3) the %preun scriptlet of the old xrootd-server RPM has been called (stops all the services and cleans up the autostart settings)
4) the %postun scriptlet of the old xrootd-server RPM has been called (does nothing in this case)

Since this problem only appears when the names of the packages are changed (we don't plan to do this anymore) and it's not really clear how I could fix it. I will leave it as it is.