Hello Bill,

Sorry Bill but I can't reproduce your problem with scons of my machine.
Nevertheless, I suspect a conflict in scons versions.

Furthermore, it seems you have qserv code here :
/u1/bchick/sandbox2/qserv-branchtest/
and install dir here :
/u1/bchick/sandbox2/

First, i strongly recommand you to extract qserv source code from qserv install dir,
for example move it in :
/u1/bchick/src/qserv-branchtest/

Then in /u1/bchick/src/qserv-branchtest/ run :
scons uninstall
and then :
scons

If your still meeting the scons issue you report, here's a few questions which should help you in diagnose it :

1. Do you have "scons" rpm provided by SL6 installed on your system ?
(do you have launched, under root account, the script %QSERV_SRC_DIR/admin/bootstrap/qserv-install-deps-sl6.sh which install it ?)

2. Do you use this rpm version :
Here's what i get after having installed qserv distribution dependencies with qserv-install-deps-sl6.sh :

[fjammes@clrlsst-dbmaster-vm qserv]$ which scons
/usr/bin/scons

If you don't get the same path, it is possible that you still run a compiled version of scons, which was installed by previous versions of Qserv.
In this case run
scons uninstall
and then check that
which scons
give the same output than me.

3. If the above is ok and the problem still persist, which version of scons do you have ?
Here's mine :
[fjammes@clrlsst-dbmaster-vm qserv]$ scons --version
SCons by Steven Knight et al.:
    script: v2.0.1.r5134, 2010/08/16 23:02:40, by bdeegan on cooldog
    engine: v2.0.1.r5134, 2010/08/16 23:02:40, by bdeegan on cooldog
Copyright (c) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 The SCons Foundation

4. If the problem still persist, please could you try launching the attached script ?
It will install qserv (same as qserv-install, but in shell and for qserv-master only)
and give me the failure message.

Thanks,

Fabrice