The second installment of my homework: a brief section to be added to the
long EF summary about direct Higgs searches. It is based on section 1.3.1
in our working group report. Higgs folks may want to take a look and see if
they have comments.

Links to figures:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1153967/T1_HZZ_Narrow_300_5sig.pdf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1153967/T2_HZZ_Narrow_300_5sig.pdf

\section{Extended Higgs Sectors}

Additional Higgs bosons are predicted by many well-motivated extensions of
the
Standard Model, including supersymmetry and composite Higgs models,
and study of this possibility is also motivated simply from the need to
fully explore the Higgs sector.
If the 125 GeV Higgs boson mixes with other Higgs bosons, this will affect
its couplings to the other particles of the standard model, which can be
measured
in precision studies of the 125 GeV Higgs.
On the other hand, the additional Higgs bosons can be searched for directly.

The complementarity of these search strategies is illustrated with a search
for additional Higgs bosons in a model with two Higgs doublets,
studied in detail in Ref.~\cite{2HDMwp}.
Fig.~\ref{fig:HZZreach} shows the discovery reach for a 300~GeV Higgs boson
$H$
decaying via $H \to ZZ \to 4\ell$ compared with allowed region from Higgs
coupling measurements at various experimental facilities.
The important parameters for this search are the Higgs mixing angle
$\alpha$ and
the ratio of the Higgs vacuum expectation values $\tan\beta$, and which
Higgs
bosons couple to which quarks and leptons (type I or II).
The line $\cos(\beta - \alpha) = 0$ is the limit where the additional
Higgs particles decouple and the theory looks like the standard model.

Even for type II models (which include supersymmetry) where the Higgs
coupling
measurements are already very constraining, the direct Higgs search probes
significant additional parameter space.
There is roughly a factor of 2 increase in the reach for large $\tan\beta$
in
each step in going from LHC14 to HL-LHC to a 33 TeV collider with
3000~fb${}^{-1}$.
There is also a significant region where the additional Higgs boson makes a
measurable effect on the couplings of the 125 GeV Higgs boson, so combining
this information we can begin to reconstruct the Higgs sector.
Of course the direct Higgs searches lose sensitivity when the new Higgs
bosons
become heavy, and in this region of parameters the Higgs coupling
measurements
provide the best opportunity for probing the Higgs sector.

\begin{figure}
\centering
\includegraphics[width=0.4\linewidth]{NewParticles/figures_9/T1_HZZ_Narrow_300_5sig.pdf}
\includegraphics[width=0.4\linewidth]{NewParticles/figures_9/T2_HZZ_Narrow_300_5sig.pdf}
\caption{$5\sigma$ discovery reach for 300~GeV $H$
decaying via $H \rightarrow ZZ \rightarrow 4\ell$.
The Type I and Type II 2HDM models as shown in the left
and right panels respectively. Dark and the two light  yellow regions
are the $5\sigma$  reach by direct searches at LHC14
with 300~fb$^{-1}$, 3000~fb$^{-1}$) and HE-LHC with 3000~fb$^{-1}$
respectively~\cite{2HDMwp}.
The  region expected to be allowed at a
95\% CL by complementary precision Higgs coupling measurements, is shown
as dark (light) blue for 300~${\rm fb}^{-1}$~(3000~${\rm
fb}^{-1}$)~\cite{Barger:2013ofa}.
}
\label{fig:HZZreach}
\end{figure}

@article{2HDMwp,
author         = "Brownson, Eric and Craig, Nathaniel and Heintz, Ulrich
                        and Kukartsev, Gena and Narain, Meenakshi and
others",
      title          = "{Heavy Higgs Scalars at Future Hadron Colliders (A
                        Snowmass Whitepaper)}",
      year           = "2013",
      eprint         = "1308.6334",
      archivePrefix  = "arXiv",
      primaryClass   = "hep-ex",
      SLACcitation   = "%%CITATION = ARXIV:1308.6334;%%",
}

@article{Barger:2013ofa,
      author         = "Barger, Vernon and Everett, Lisa L. and Logan,
Heather E.
                        and Shaughnessy, Gabe",
      title          = "{Scrutinizing h(125) in Two Higgs Doublet Models at
the
                        LHC, ILC, and Muon Collider}",
      year           = "2013",
      eprint         = "1308.0052",
      archivePrefix  = "arXiv",
      primaryClass   = "hep-ph",
      SLACcitation   = "%%CITATION = ARXIV:1308.0052;%%",
}

Markus Luty

Physics Department
University of California, Davis