It's easy to construct models where a 1 TeV Higgs wouldn't be seen at the
LHC
because its couplings to ordinary matter are too small.  Take the Higgs
singlet
model:  The couplings of the SM Higgs go like cos^2 of an angle, the
couplings
of the heavier Higgs go like sin^2 of the same angle.

I believe we need to emphasize the importance of exploring the TeV scale.
No matter what we see or don't see, we've learned something.