It seems there is still an issue with the SSS authentication.
What I did is just to compile EOS with the latest XRootD version from the master branch i.e. xrootd-20131008.b79efe8-1.slc6.x86_64 and the data node fails to boot at startup. I get the following output in the log file of the data node. What it tries to do is basically a simple xrdcp to the manager node ...

sec_Client: protocol request for host pcitdss1400.cern.ch token='&P=unix&P=sss,0.13:/etc/eos.keytab'
sec_PM: Skipping unix only want sss
sec_PM: Loading sss protocol object from libXrdSecsss.so
sec_PM: Using sss protocol, args='0.13:/etc/eos.keytab'
sec_sss: Client keytab='/etc/eos.keytab'
sec_sss: Ret 151 bytes of credentials; k=2
sec_Client: protocol request for host pcitdss1400.cern.ch token=''
XrdSec: No authentication protocols are available.
xrdcp: Copy from pcitdss1400.cern.ch failed on open!
xrdcp: IP address mismatch.: unable to get protocol object.