Thanks for your reply.

Le 04/10/2013 02:19, Andrew Hanushevsky a écrit :
> 1) Your configuration file has to allow reading the file from where it
> was placed,

Should that line solve this (from our current setup):
xrootd.export /

> 2) The owner has to be the same the user running xrootd (or at least the
> file has to be readable by that user)

Fine.

> 3) If you use an authorization scheme (I don't think you use the xrootd
> scheme), privileges have to be correct.

That's a key point. For a "normal" operation, the command comes from the
DPM  head-node, and afaik the authentication/authorization has been done
at that level and some secured transaction between the head and the disk
server allow it to be acknowledged on the disk-server (using the
dpmxrd-sharedkey). Here I cannot use this mechanism that is currently
configured...

> I hope this helps. However, I do want to point out that if you adopt a
> single file scheme your results will not be valid and likely not even
> comparable from protocol to protocol. This is because the file system
> will happily cache some portion of the file, and you really don't know
> which portion it might be.  While reading files of several hundred
> gigabytes minimizes this problem it doesn't eliminate it, especially
> with the way some protocol implementations handle the file.

Testing with a relatively small and cached file or simultaneous access
to lots of big files spread on all the server raid array wont test the
same thing (memory -> network ability or disk->cache bottlenecks, etc.).
I'm not really comparing protocols here (I've read several reports about
it and it seems that Xrood is the best, so I want it to work), but more
to quantify what we can get in practice with our setup and where are the
bottlenecks.

Thanks again,

	Yannick

--
Yannick Patois <[log in to unmask]>
IPHC - IN2P3 / CNRS - 23 rue du Loess 67037 Strasbourg