Dear US Linear Collider Colleague,

The Particle Physics Project Prioritization Panel (P5) is on its way to preparing a set of recommendations to the funding agencies regarding support for future projects. It is extremely important that we get the best possible statements in the P5 report on the scientific value of the ILC and the importance of US participation in the project currently being considered in Japan.  Already during the Fermilab P5 meeting last week there was a discussion of issues related to this opportunity.

You can learn about the P5 activities are their website is

   http://interactions.org/p5 .

Steve Ritz, P5 chair, has been emphasizing the importance of community input to the panel deliberations. He has suggested use of the form provided under the "Submissions" link on the P5 web site.

One of the issues for P5 will be that of whether there is a community of physicists in the US who would like the opportunity to participate in the ILC experiments. This is best demonstrated by people writing directly to P5 to ask for this opportunity.  We see no contradiction between participation in the HL-LHC program and eventual participation in ILC in Japan.

The energy frontier, including the ILC, will be discussed at the Brookhaven P5 meeting, December 15-18.  We think it would be helpful for those who can to attend the BNL meeting to show support for research at the Energy Frontier, and specific support for US participation in the ILC.  The preliminary agenda for the BNL meeting can be found at:
https://indico.bnl.gov/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=680

There is also an opportunity to participate in the P5 meeting at SLAC, particularly in the town hall meeting, December 2-4.  Both meetings include a "Town Meeting" to which community member can contribute presentations.

Best regards,

Harry Weerts, Michael Peskin, and Jim Brau