Let me answer these as best I can:

1) The LCSim code is not included with HPS.  It is referenced as a Maven dependency,
which means that it will be automatically downloaded when the HPS software is built.
You still have the option of installing the lcsim software locally if you wish.

See this presentation for details on doing this:

https://confluence.slac.stanford.edu/download/attachments/156533720/HPS%20SVN%20Update.pptx

The examples are found here:

trunk/hps-java/src/main/java/org/lcsim/hps/examples/

The simple answer to your question about working with the code is that you should create projects
in Eclipse for the modules that you are interested in working with, which will probably initially be:

hps-java
users

I hope I covered how to make these projects in Eclipse in sufficient detail so that you are able to get them setup okay,
but if something is still going wrong after following all the steps then please let me know.

It is also useful to have the entire trunk checked out as well but it does not need to be loaded as an
Eclipse project.  I use this for working easily with everything from the command line such as the distribution
module.

2) The distribution module is included in the full trunk under “distribution” so you have the
option of simply doing ‘cd distribution; mvn install’ to bundle all your local changes into the runnable
jar.  Before doing this, you would need to successfully build the modules containing your new or updated code,
e.g. users and/or hps-java.  You can build modules in Eclipse and then build the distribution from the command line
and your local Eclipse changes should be included.

The distribution module is also built along with all of the modules if you execute ‘mvn install’ from trunk,
but generally you would not want to do this as it would override our local changes that were made using Eclipse.

3) There is a page on the Confluence about available data.  Does this help?

https://confluence.slac.stanford.edu/display/hpsg/HPS+Detector+data+available+at+JLAB+and+SLAC

I’m not sure exactly what you want in terms of test run or simulated data but feel free to ask if you
can’t find what you’re looking for from the links on that page.

—Jeremy